575 CASTRO ST. Update

Two exciting bits of news to share about my short film, 575 Castro St. this month. 

First and foremost is a brand new opportunity for San Franciscans and visiting tourists to view the film in the most perfect venue I could ever have imagined. You may have read that the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) recently relocated their San Francisco store to the now legendary address of Harvey Milk's old Castro Camera shop (yes, that would be 575 Castro St.). As part of the new HRC Store they have worked with our awesome GLBT Historical Society to create a wonderful historical display about Harvey Milk and Castro Camera. A prominent part of the display is an installation of my film, 575 Castro St. exhibited on a continual loop, with a set of headphones so you can listen to the soundtrack while you watch. Of course the most amazing thing about this is the fact that not only was my film footage shot at this address (in 2009 when it was the empty Castro Camera Store set of Gus Van Sant's Milk) but the audio of Harvey Milk talking about his wishes in the event of his assassination was also recorded in this very room (not upstairs in his apartment as fictionally depicted in Milk).

I am so thrilled at the prospect of so many people being exposed to my film and want to express my gratitude to the folks at HRC (and to the folks at FilmInFocus.com for granting permission for the installation). Please go visit the HRC Store next time you're in the Castro and take a look at my film if you have a chance! 

I'm also very proud to report that an HD tape of 575 Castro St. is now officially on deposit with the Sundance Collection at the UCLA Film & Television Archive as part of their effort to preserve all of the fabulous films that have been showcased at the Sundance Film Festival over the years. One of these days I will get it together to deposit my negative of The Joy of Life

Comments

Popular Posts